Lamentations 3:40

"Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord."



Saturday, September 28, 2013

Payton's Birth Story

     On Tuesday night, I started to experience some mild contractions. I had been having contractions on and off for weeks now, so I didn't give them a whole lot of credit until I woke up the next morning and they were still coming regularly. Around noon, I called my doctor's office to let them know how long I had been contracting and even though they weren't extremely painful, they did seem to be picking up a bit. The doctor advised me to head to the hospital to get checked out, so off we went. When I got there, we were able to see that I was having regular, strong, contractions, but they were making very little progress. The nurse let me know they were probably going to send me home until they picked up even more, but she quickly came back in with different news. When she called my doctor and let him know about the regularity and strength of my contractions, he decided it wasn't a good idea to send me home, and since I hadn't made very much progress, he decided to go ahead and do a repeat C-section right then. It took me a minute to process what was happening, and it happened really fast, but before I knew it, I was on the operating table and I heard the doctor say, "I can't get a grip on this big head, someone get me the vacuum." Haha! seconds later, I heard my angel's first cry! This C-section was such a better experience than the one I had when Rylee was born. I ended up being put under and missing her birth, but with Payton, being able to see her immediately after her birth, it made the whole experience so amazing.
     Payton Joy Massengill came into this world at 5:18 pm on September 25, 2013. She weighed in at 7 lbs 13 oz and was 19 inches long. As soon as they stitched me up, we headed to recovery where I got to hold her and feed her and keep her with me the entire time. It was so much better than recovery with Rylee, because they kept her in a nursery the whole time, and we didn't get to bond until she was over 2 hours old already. We asked the nurses, and were able to sneak Liz into the recovery room, and she got to meet Miss Payton right away as well. I was anxious for Rylee to arrive and meet her sister, and it felt like it took forever for her to get there, but finally around 8pm, Rylee came in, and she was so cute meeting her sister. She just stared and stared for a while and then finally she said, "Look at her cute little nose." It was so precious.
    After Rylee was able to bond with her new sister for a little bit, Nonna, Granddaddy, Aunt Mel, and Austin came in to meet Payton as well. They couldn't stay very long because it was getting late, and I felt sad when Rylee had to leave. I felt torn between my two favorite girls. The next day Rylee came with them and Granny and PawPaw around 1 (again it felt like forever without her!) and when they were ready to leave, we decided to let Rylee stay with us for a few more hours, and Ryan took her back to Nonna's when he had to head to work that night. It was good to have more time with both of my girls together, but I was sad again when she had to leave. Luckily as she was leaving Mary, Baily, Liz, Brandon, and KAde were coming in, so it helped keep my mind off it a little I spent the rest of my time bonding with Payton, and loving every minute with her, but still missing my Rylee and wishing I could be with them both. So Friday, Ryan went ahead and got Rylee as soon as he got off work that morning, and she spent the whole day at the hospital with us and was there when we were discharged and we got to go home together as a complete family.
     We got home last night, and it has been a smooth transition thus far. Rylee is acting as if nothing has changed and being just as well-behaved and independent as ever, and Payton is such a content little lady. Rylee loves Payton and watches out for her from afar, but isn't really into holding her or anything like that. Which is fine. She gives her lots of kisses and checks up on her often, and I think that is incredibly sweet. I feel so blessed to have 2 amazing little girls to call my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment